This month’s Burris Success Story comes from Burris Jacksonville! Matt Tauscher has worked for Burris for 7 years now. He began as a lumper and is now a Warehouse Supervisor! Thank you Matt for your hard work and dedication to Burris.
- What was your first position with Burris? When I started with Burris, I was lumper, unloading floor loaded containers.
- Why did you join the Burris team? I really was not sure what I was looking to do as far as work and needed a job having just moved back home to Florida. I heard about the job through my sister who worked for the company at the time. Figured, why not try something new?
- How did you learn about and become interested in following a career path in Warehouse Operations? I have members of my family that have worked in the Warehousing industry in the past so I was familiar with what Warehousing Operations is, I just lacked personal experience. To be honest, at the time I had not planned on going into the industry until I started at Burris and realized I enjoyed doing it. That was when I decided to move forward and see what I could do, not only within the industry, but more so within the company itself.
- What did you learn that helped you to grow? Was there anyone who was a mentor to you? I had really little to no knowledge at all when I started so everything was pretty much new to me. I just took every opportunity to learn anything I could that would better me at my job and make me more valuable to the company. I am currently going to be on my second year at the WFLO program, I have attended Burris University and HPWP all in the past year along with supervisory training classes all provided by Burris. I have had a lot of supervisors, managers and even fellow team members that have all helped mentor me over the years. They had all seen the hard work I put in everyday and were willing to help guide me down the right path to the success I have achieved so far.
- What advice do you have for fellow Burris team members on career opportunities at Burris? The best advice I think for other team members interested in furthering a career at Burris is just to be open to learning new things, be willing to take every opportunity that comes about with an open mind that something positive can come out of it.
- What do you like about the positions you have held at Burris? I have worked pretty much every position in the warehouse over the years. Starting as lumper, to receiver/auditor, to loader, to reach truck operator to team lead to now supervisor. I have even participated in the inventory department regularly over the years. Each position provided me opportunity to obtain new knowledge that would later help with other positions.
- Feel free to add any other information you feel would help us tell your story and encourage others to take advantage of career opportunities. The only other thing I would like to add is that I have gotten this far in 7 years with no prior job experience in the industry. Burris is constantly doing things to push me and continue to help me grow. The plan is not to stop now………….